One of the first in the country, the Community Supported Garden at Genesis Farm was founded in 1988 as a not-for-profit corporation.
The Garden leases approximately 51 acres from Genesis Farm, which is owned by the Dominican Sisters who have protected the land through the state farmland preservation program.
Membership in the Garden provides a share in the produce and also allows the gardeners to grow life-giving food for people they know. Since the financial bottom line is secured through share-holder memberships, decisions about growing can be made based on what is good for the land rather than from the dictates of a profit-making perspective.
At the entrance to Genesis Farm, the Gardenhouse serves as the distribution center and also contains root cellars, work space, and office space. Three greenhouses extend the growing season and provide fresh salad greens over the winter months. Over 10 acres are in cultivation with vegetables and berries. An orchard and hardy kiwi vines provide additional fruit.
The CSG’s purpose is clearly stated on their website:
With only 2% of Americans actually producing food for the other 98%, people are increasingly separated from the source of their food and from understanding the vital relationships that connect people, food, soils and health.
The direct link between members and farmers changes this by re-connecting us to the earth and to each other.
For more information, click here.
The Farmland Preservation sign is across from the entrance to Genesis Farm.
Two garden apprentices work with an abundant harvest.